"When Life takes unexpected turns, the best asset I carry with me, is the ability to smile "

Saturday, October 31, 2015

"When you grow up, who do you want to be?"

Going to be five years in the corporate, I thought I should just look back for a moment. The things I've experienced and learnt so far. As someone rightly said "Experience is the best teacher, but the fee is bit high";  
I still remember vaguely, some of my school days.
"When you grow up, who do you want to be?" Sounds familiar right? The question we had to answer for a long time. I seriously thought during my kindergarten, that, if I say I want to become a scientist, when I grow up, I HAD to become a scientist, there are no two ways to it. When I saw the first plane flew over, I changed my answer, I want to become a pilot. When I first visited an aircraft carrier, the answer changed. When I first looked through a microscope I had goosebumps, my answer changed. When I joined college I worked to be a marketeer. In between I thought of shifting to an operations research professional. 

I don't know if I grew up or not, but after my undergrad,  I became a Project Coordinator in an education technology start-up, After my higher education, I became a Sales Officer and a Senior Sales Officer.
When I write this, I am a Business Analyst, working for a US based technology company. I have changed roles, I have shifted industries. Today, for the first time, I believe: I have discovered what do I want to be. It's not a decision, but it's a discovery. A discovery fueled by the days of testing, learning, disappointment, success, failure, disgust, happiness, commitment, tears and courage

One thing that I'd like to remind my young brothers and sisters out there. People say, "Follow your dreams". But, we may have an endless doubt about "What's my dream?" Never mind. Somethings take time. In your initial days of career, be persistent and keep up your hope. Put in the best in everything you do. Be sincere, honest and truthful in your career. And when you make choices, make reasonable ones. Everyday is a lesson.
Learn & Grow!



No comments:

Post a Comment